Noemie Goudal. I implore you to go submerge yourself in her work, it is rather spectacular.
I've convinced myself, over an unhealthy period of deliberation I've spent just laying corpse-like on my bed, that when you meet somebody, it should be instantaneous that just as you're done with formalities (I like formalities by the way. They're like an excuse to be unnecessary), the very next thing you should introduce is your fears. Things you're utterly terrified of, things that make you shudder in your conscious, subconscious and unconscious form, your blackest nightmares.
Stay with me.
I have no intention whatsoever to teach you how to be egg-shell vulnerable or to feed and accelerate nemesis plans dedicated to stealing your mojo or whatever. It's just that, I think that if you tell people exactly the things that you're afraid of, you're at the same time letting them know that in everything else, you're fearless.
I know this isn't that well thought out and is as porous as can be, so please drop a line or two telling me what you think. In the mean time,
Hi, I'm Iffah and I'm most afraid of food stains on my shirt, stagnancy, being mediocre and love.
Your posts are so thought provoking.
ReplyDeleteI think fears should be introduced at the right time. Or just one of those stupid conversation fillers in awkward silence when you're newly acquainted with a person and it's just both of you sitting on the bus or something.
ReplyDeleteIdk, when people tell me about their fears I'll be like, "Oh, OK". Then again, it's me. Different people react differently, I guess.
And Ohai I am Iskandar and I'm afraid of grease, mosaic-tiled toilets, clowns, being alone, and love (k, the last two kinda contradicts each other in a way, but yeah).
I think telling someone about your fears is incredibly brave, especially when you don't know how they would react to it.
ReplyDeleteI guess I tend to do it too, especially if I am somewhat attracted to the person I'm talking to or would like to know more of. It's like I'm trying to scream, "hey you, this is me, this is what I'm like, what do you think?" I'm an open book, I still can't decide if its a good or bad thing.
but hey, I love reading your blog, you're really someone I would like to model after but who am I trying to kid. hahahha
btw, I'm Deborah, I am deathly afraid of lizards, frogs, zombies ( i know they dont exist but yeah...), crowded loud places, existing and not living and last but not least I'm most afraid that I am not living life to the fullest. (k, abt the same thing)
love you iffah <3
@Isk
ReplyDeleteI don't think the listener has to do anything with that knowledge per se. And it shouldn't be so random hahah, that would just be immensely awkward!
And yeah, I'll agree with you on the "right time" thing. I realise it might be a little too intimidating.
By the way, I don't think being afraid of being alone and love contradict each other at all. c:
@Deborah
ReplyDeleteIt does take a lot out of somebody doesn't it. And in a way, it does say some much about this person, standing in front of you, declaring these things. Coming completely clean. It is a confession by itself, and the quivers and the cracking voices make it so beautiful.
I love it when a person makes a distinct effort to tell other people that this is who they are. They don't need to explain why because they just feel no need to justify their existence. It makes me love them.
And Deborah, I'd like you to know that you are just part of the rare breed that actually wears their hearts on their sleeves. You're honest and amazing and I love the way you treat life like it's your dad's disco, dancing like no one or everybody's watching. ♥