Sunday, October 10, 2010

"Don't Kanchong."


Photobucket
Hold On - Angus & Julia Stone

Blog title of the day is something I've been hearing quite a bit, arrowed blatantly in my direction ever since I started work. It has snowballed into a mini identity crisis: Am I really thatpanicky? But hey hey hey, flipside says it makes the impulse purchase of the above badge not so impulsive anymore. Convenient.

1) If you've been within my very filtered social circle during these jolly, jolly days of school-less freedom, I've probably hyped to you about where I'm currently working. I've mentioned it in a previous post, but here are some pictures and maybe a paragraph (or two) of utterly shameless plugging. Pictures all from here and here.

Photobucket

Kith Cafe is quite snugly nestled amongst the condos at Robertson Quay. It's a sampan-ride away from Zouk and has a pretty sweet view of the Singapore River. If you were done with your latte and you've worked yourself quite a bit of rebellion, you could use one of our tables as a diving board into the water. I am not kidding.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Food's good if you have a tongue for grill and a boast-worthy romance with bread (multi-grain, sourdough, foccacia). The kitchen is pretty much home to the biggest orgy of vegetables served with practically everything, like a subtle HPB conspiracy. And stocks come in just about every other day, so everything is far from limp and sad-looking when you get food. My favourites on the menu are the Smoked Salmon Sandwich ($8), the Garlic Butter Prawn Sandwich ($10) and the Green Tea Muffin ($3). Though the supa fine-lookin' Briache ($?) has quite a grip on both their asses. Wooh.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I get unusually stoked when it comes to Kith's drinks menu because it is 1) SPAZZMCORE GOOD and 2) I've been on juice/milkshake duty for a while, so I feel like I'm entitled to love.

Milkshakes are quite Da Bomb, made with ice cream from the Dessert Empire. Sashes, tiaras and bouquets go to Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake ($6.50 for Regular, $8 for Large) and Watermelon Lychee ($4.80 for Regular, $6.30 for Large). But the overly opulent, excessively bejewelled throne goes to Iced Earl Grey with Lavender Tea ($4.80 for Regular, $6.30 for Large). It is UH-MAAAAYYYY-ZIN' and I grab a cup whenever I can. Along with a small exploit of the milk from the coffee station and a couple of drops of sugar syrup, you pretty much have the drink I would gladly replace my blood with.

Photobucket

Anyway, the Kith family is a rather hodgepodgy breed of people. They are all, however, nice as hell and damn good at what they do. They are also a bottomless pit of Cantonese quirk and the occasional broken Malay.

The best thing about the crew is that it opens their arms to pretty much everybody, so regular customers are always roped into the affection circle. These usually consist of a sizeable population of Australians living in the condos around the area, some with very Ugly-Naked-Guy-ish tags (Cuppacino Lady, Smoking Guy with Latte, Runaway Dad, The Scandal) and the others just with womb-explodingly cute kids and stellar dogs (the other day, this Daschund-Cocker Spaniel mix came in!). They always come in with the best smiles and are completely liberal when it comes to thanks ("Aw, that looks fantastic!" "Beautiful!" "So, so great!" "Thank you, darling, that looks amazing!"). Perks x99999.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Do come over when you can. It's a little out of the way but I think it's quite worth the hunt. Also, if you come on weekends, your Big Breakfast plate ($14) just might come with a free hug.


2) Caught up with two of the best girls somewhere last week and finally popped my Everything With Fries cherry, after a too-extended period of mindless pining for their good-looking Nutella tart.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Annabellu's very disappointing Salmon in a Cup, which turned out as literal as we thought.

Photobucket
So handsome!

Photobucket
Elaine baked these delightful jam almond shortbreads that apparently made her late. Of course we instantly forgave her, the food whores that we are.

Photobucket


With food babies finely conceived, we hopped over to Subway where we split a drink in a cup as big as our faces.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



3) Noel scored himself a sweet Coffee Bean voucher after contest-whoring on the last issue of npTribune. Going to meet him later for some good tea, and hopefully a nice, slow day out.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. FOOD PORN. FATS + HEART ATTACK. DEATH. D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGGGGGG KK IFFY U WENT TO KITH.

    I think you should know my cousin works there haha.

    Hanis btw. :D

    ReplyDelete