Well, this is nice. A short charge of calm before work revs up again and it's back to being uncomfortably chummy with the ugly heads of sleep deprivation and stress as dense as notorious Singaporean humidity. Do excuse me while I momentarily bask in this blink of a break and sleep at times where there are still decent things on TV. And by decent I mean enriching documentaries on orcas and seals, ones with spectacular close-up footage instead of hasty cuts of lackluster faraway shots coupled with stock video. I miss Animal Night so much. :(
credit
Of course in my black absence from this thought-space, a ton of things happened. For example, I was momentarily attached to Dionel.
2) Ievan and I attempted a comeback video that rivalled the flop that was Christina Aguilera in Burlesque.
3) We then actually WATCHED Burlesque in a way that has been officially declared as the "5D Experience". This essentially is living and reacting like you were in the movie itself, a breath away from Cher's mummified body or in the club audience as Xtina teases with fluffy fans. Your movie experience should be a brimming, VERY overwhelming sensory experience. You are not having the 5D Experience if you are rooted to your seat passively chewing popcorn.
(Yes, I do understand that this actually means 4D tops, but here in Ievanville, we're big fans of hyperbole and dramatic exaggeration.)
GPOY: Ievan-&-I-in-40-years Edition
4) And then No Strings Attached, which contributed to my free movie streak (I'm on Movie Number 10!). An awful effort by the way, narrowly saved by a glorious Ashton Kutcher mooning that occupied half the movie screen. Narrowly.
googled images
JYEAHHHHHHHHHH
5) Then a couple of weeks back, Converse Singapore bumped up Texas-sized notches up in my book by giving me some tickets to breathe the same smoke-and-bubbles-infested air as YANNIS PHILLIPAKIS. WIth the help of 87 of the darlingest, most Facebook-active people, I got my moolah-deprived ass some free tickets to Laneway Festival 2011! My January couldn't have been more beautiful. :')
Laneway was..........................ICAN'TEVEN. No, I literally can't. I've been sitting here infront of my screen toying with word arrangements and diction and metaphors and I just can't. You may, however, imagine crazed hand gesticulations and little-girl screams. Maybe even crying. WITHDRAWAL WAS SO HARD TO REMEDY.
I have never paid so little attention to my welfare. The part of my brain that cared about the way I looked and well-being of my immune system probably had been short-circuited by the wildly see-sawing weather changes. By the time it got dark, the driest person would have looked like he or she was hosed down by an entire fire engine whose Mat-drivers decided to have fun.
Of course any act that came up on stage remained completely void of the merciless precipitation. Like they all had prayed to some Music Hipster Buddha that had bestowed upon all of them an infinite resistance to moisture. Didn't pick up any bitterness in the soggy crowd though.
I think the constant music was a clever distraction. It may not have been intentional, but the break-less bullet train of indie anthems in between each act maintained hype at its optimal level despite the cloudy gloom.
Oh, almost forgot about the mud party our feet were having.
AND THEN................................................................FOALS.
foals shots credits
BRB CRYING.
I know this is an abrupt end to my Laneway recount. but I really can't bring myself to EVEN............... So here's a perfect picture of Jack & Edwin by the very talented Ryan C. to conclude this gush-a-thon.
HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
Completed Feature Writing. It was one of the most painful things this semester and "If you want something done right, do it yourself" was never sososososoososoososos relevant. It resounded in a way so clear and so rich that it inevitably became an official new mantra, and it came in handy as a justification to all the unnecessary work I was doing.
Here she is!
Flippin' Photobucket lowered the colour quality. :c
"Here at munch, we don’t believe in conformism.
Conformism belongs to the 13-year-olds giving in to peer pressure and communism, which are really two things furthest away from what munch is. We like to do things a little differently here, and with Valentine’s Day teasing us with its horned head just around the corner, what better time to stick out like a well-manicured thumb? Just for your Romeo or Juliet (plural, if you’re quite the non-believer in fidelity), munch says make everybody else feel inadequate by making market-spoilers of cupcakes (page 4), learning a thing or two about ruffling up the sheets (page 15), or if all else fails, tell your darling munch sent him or her a big wet kiss.
Of course while you’re all flustered and lovesick, we haven’t forgotten about more pressing issues. What’s more pressing than gaining approval from your baby? Your health and money, son. This VDay, skip the McDonald’s candlelight dinners (page 11) and maybe that place that will take your bank account’s eye out (page 14). Nobody likes a poor person with a heart attack.
Alright. Happy VDay, kids. GET LAID!
The munch Team
xoxo"
And some outtakes from some of the shoots:
Makeshift photo studio is makeshift.
Pick up a copy of Munch today. While stock lasts. And, yes, stock. Singular. Because I have yet to attain the skill to transfigure my ample supply of dust bunnies into enough cash to fuel a nation-wide distribution. I remain wistful.
Yeah. That.
This makes me wish I was born two years later so I could have you as my feature writing designer and boast these marvelously designed pages in my portfolio. WHY ARE YOU SO TALENTED IFFAH. Pls do the design industry a favour and go into it. NOW. thanks.
ReplyDeleteCould you imagine if we were classmates?????!?!?!??!!!! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
ReplyDeleteHahah anyway. Funny story. I was actually the editor. But I was very unsatisfied with the designs and I wanted things to be A VERY SPECIFIC WAY, so I ended up doing half the magazine. That's why it was so tough. I did copy-editing, phototaking, writing, designing, all of it. I'm so, so glad it's over.
But my sweat and effort would like to say a huuuuuuuuge thank you for your very, very nice words. c:
Good for you! That would have been what I would have done too except I was just very disillusioned by my entire feature writing project. Everything sucked from the editor to the designs, but I was too focused on advert to give a shit. It was the worst. (News writing was the best.) Thankfully, still got my AD HEHEHE :> Which I am sure you'll get too! (Or at least for this magazine, cos it's so professionally done wtf?)
ReplyDeleteYou are super woman and it will reflect in your grades! Just so glad I got out of that hehehe. <3
In other news, IT WOULD BE AMAZING IF WE WERE CLASSMATES. I do think our perfectionist tendencies would be a good match hur hur.
Hahha I'm doing the PR/WebD sem, but the kids who were in the same team as I was were also in my group for the other projects. It kinda made it that much easier to delegate work. I focused entirely on Feature.
ReplyDeleteI really hope I get an AD! My GPA suffered so, so so sosososos much thanks to the MRM/MM sem, I need the pull-up!
GRACE WE WOULD HAVE OWNED MASS COMM HAHAHAH
AH LUCKY YOU. My cohort had the unlucky chance of having our feature writing groups be picked AT RANDOM. SERIOUSLY. Like everyone had to draw fucking lots and it pissed everyone off but apparently it was supposed to help cos "you can't pick who you want to work with in the industry". It didn't help anything except create a cohort of 100 miserable souls.
ReplyDeleteI HOPE YOU GET AN AD. YES. :D
YES WE WOULD HAVE. AHHHHHHHH. Well. not to brag or anything, but we would be the perfect team hahahaha
Hi! Can you recommend some halal eating food places? I have a lot of muslim friends and we find that choices are quite limited :) thanks in advance!!
ReplyDelete@Anon
ReplyDeleteOh, hey! I actually think Halal places are not that to find. There's actually quite a decent number around. I guess it also helps if you're at the right place. Say you're in Geylang or Kampong Glam, it'd generally be easier for you to find Muslim-friendly places for you because those places have a really high Malay-Muslim population.
But whenever I have Muslim friends with me when I'm in town, I like to go for ayam penyet (spazzz spazzzzzzzzzz good stuff) at Lucky Plaza. FISH by Fish & Co. at 313 is also really, really good!
Also, this might help: http://www.singaporehalaldirectory.com/indexSHD.aspx?DirID=106&Version=english
not that hard*
ReplyDeleteYOUR MAGAZINE IS SO PRETTY IDEK HOW TO DESCRIBE IT!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete