Monday, August 15, 2011

Funny English Men


Photobucket

Coast of Carolina - Telekinesis

Today on the tram, I had an entire first carriage of English people. The kids were the sweetest, most inquisitive things ("Can I buy a water buffalo for $160?") and we had almost-adult conversations between each animal. One of them asked me how long I have been tram commentating for (almost 4 months) and if I was exhausted (yes).

His father then looked at me and asked, "What do you dream about?"

I couldn't decide if I was more taken aback by the sudden-ness of the question or the general nature of the inquiry. Either way, I stuttered, "I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean."

Momentarily, I was prepared to share with him all the odd places my subconscious takes me to while I'm asleep. I was almost ready to deeply delve into a conversation of Murakami proportions, soaring through multiple dreamscapes and elaborately describing the most fascinating and the most boring of dreams.

Recent days haven't been very eventful in terms of dreams. They've been hovering around the kind that I think are products of my current (more like perpetual) wanderlust. I was in Rome the other night, on Segways with long leashes attached to the most beautiful cocker spaniels. I felt like Oprah.

And just this morning I was on a beach, getting an unnecessary tan (Malay skin, hello) from the Balinese sun, a scenario hopefully to be realised some time really soon actually.

I can't even begin to converse about dreams, for the sole reason that I don't know where to start! So I cocked my head slightly, and looked at the English man, almost amused that he'd want to even try to start talking about such an extensive topic on a 40 minute tram ride. I asked him again, "Could you explain your question?"

"Like, you spend so much time here, do you dream of babirusas and tigers and tapirs?"

WAT.


2 comments: